Yayyy... we're going to the Big Island. The date is set according to RAW's schedule. 9/16 to 9/23. It was a rare accomplishment to get RAW off the mainland.
Volcano
I've heard so much about the volcano on Mauna Kea but each time I visited in the past, the experience is bypassed... BUT... here are some pics and quicktime videos since November 3, 2009 to current... showing it's consistant erruptions and steady streams of the lava's journey to the ocean. Maybe this trip I can finally visit the volcano.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html
Mauna Kea Observatories
I talked to RAW about the observatories on top of Mauna Kea that I wanted to visit. Mauna Kea is 14,000 ft. above sea level. Taller than Mt. Shasta here in California. There's a commercial tour that takes people to the top and inside the observatories for $200 a person. RAW clutched his chest and starting breathing heavy... wasn't sure if he was demonstrating the effects of being 14,000 feet above sea level or the shock of the "price tag per person" that set him off. Today I did a little research and found info where we can just drive up there on our own... provided that we adhere to the health hazard warnings.
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/visiting.htm
Rainforests
I've seen pictures of the famous giant ferns in the rainforest.
World Botanical Gardens and Waterfalls
Area trails have a maze, a rain forest walk
http://www.wbgi.com/
... sounds like you can take a zipline through.... 7 zip lines and 150' suspension bridges over waterfalls.
http://www.zipisle.com/
Oh my... look at this... experience the thrill of flying...
Zip Line Canopy Tour : (808)889-5111
http://www.ziplinehi.com/ : (808) 930-zips
Snorkling
Of course, I always go swimming and snorkle when I visit... an opportunity to be in the middle of a big giant fish tank and gaze at the fishes and turtles.
Other things I want to look into that I haven't done before....
Jet Ski
Kayak
Glass bottom boat or submarine (preferable the Atlantis submarine in Kona)
http://www.101thingstodo.com/hawaii/bigisland/index.php
No comments:
Post a Comment